Refund to Retirement

January 28, 2019
Use your tax refund for an IRA contribution

You may already know that contributions to a traditional IRA may be deductible on your personal tax return (subject to certain limits). You’re allowed to deduct a contribution on your 2018 return that is made as late as April 15.

But are you aware that you can use this year’s tax refund to make your IRA contribution for the 2018 tax year?

How to fund your IRA with a refund

The IRS says it’s OK to use this year’s tax refund to make your 2018 IRA contribution as long as you meet the April 15 deadline. If you want to use this strategy, however, you’ll want to file your tax return early.

Here’s how it works: You can contribute up to $5,500 to a traditional IRA for 2018 ($6,500 if you’re age 50 or older). All you have to do is claim the IRA contribution on your 2018 return and then ensure the same amount is deposited in your IRA by April 15.

The ability to deduct contributions is phased out if you (or your spouse) actively participate in an employer’s retirement plan, and your income exceeds a certain level. For instance, the deduction is gradually reduced for a single filer with a modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) between $63,000 and $73,000 on a 2018 return. Further calculations to determine your maximum contribution amount will be needed if your income falls inside a phaseout range.

The IRA refund strategy is especially beneficial for taxpayers who are struggling to make ends meet, but still want to save for retirement

Extensions are not allowed for IRA contributions, so don’t procrastinate! Typically you can file your tax return starting as early as late January.

“Tax Tips” are published weekly to provide current tax information, tax-cutting suggestions, and tax reminders. If you would like more information on anything in “Tax Tips,” or if you’d like to be on our mailing list to receive other tax information from time to time, please contact our office.

The tax information contained in this site is of a general nature and should not be acted upon in your specific situation without further details and/or professional assistance.

Leave a Reply